Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Brand New at Nassau Coliseum - 11.28.09

BRAND NEW - NASSAU COLISEUM
November 28, 2009 - Uniondale, NY
With: Glassjaw, Thrice, Manchester Orchestra, and Kevin Devine




Brand New Setlist

  1. Welcome to Bangkok
  2. Sink
  3. Degausser
  4. You Won't Know
  5. Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't
  6. Sic Transit Gloria . . . Glory Fades
  7. Limousine (just Jesse until "7 loves you so much)
  8. Vices
  9. Gasoline
  10. Sowing Season
  11. You Stole
  12. Luca
  13. The Archers Bows Have Broken
  14. Jesus Christ
  15. Bought a Bride
  16. At the Bottom
  17. Play Crack the Sky
  18. Seventy Times 7

Brand New. Oh, Brand New. I love, love, love them, so much, and I was so proud of them. They were amazing and I was so happy for them . . . there were a couple of moments when I saw Jesse looking around the Coliseum, realizing that there were 10,000+ people there and just taking it all in . . . they kept hailing the show as the "homecoming" show for them, and their set was PERFECT . . . they ended with "Play Crack the Sky" (my all time favorite) followed by "Seventy Times 7" (which has hit particularly close to home lately) and it was awesome. There is nothing like 10,000+ people singing "I HOPE YOU CHOKE AND DIE" at the top of their lungs.  Best band ever.

Glassjaw Setlist
  1. Tip Your Bartender
  2. Mu Empire
  3. Star Above My Bed
  4. Ape Dos Mil
  5. The Gillette Cavalcade of Sports
  6. (You Think You're) John Fucking Lennon
  7. Pink Roses
  8. Siberian Kiss

Thrice Setlist

  1. Of Dust and Nations
  2. The Earth Will Shake
  3. All The World is Mad
  4. A Song for Milly Michaelson
  5. The Artist in the Ambulance
  6. Silhouette
  7. Beggars


I thought I might start crying when Thrice came on . . . I'd seen them twice before (I told Liz and my friend Mike from high school who we met up with there "I've seen Thrice twice . . . after tonight, I'll have seen Thrice thrice!") but before I knew any of their music . . . Dustin Kensrue has a beautiful voice, and I couldn't help but be excited to see them, especially when they played "The Artist in the Ambulance", my favorite song of theirs.


Manchester Orchestra Setlist


  1. Wolves at Night
  2. I Can Barely Breathe
  3. I've Got Friends
  4. Shake it Out
  5. Where Have You Been?  (with Kevin Devine)


Kevin Devine Setlist


  1. Just Stay
  2. Carnival
  3. Another Bag of Bones
  4. Cotton Crush
  5. Brother’s Blood


My love for Kevin Devine has only strengthened with time . . . seven years and thirteen shows later, Kevin Devine has gone from this amazing singer to this amazing singer who is also my hero who is also . . . um, AMAZING. God, I don't know how else to describe him. Nothing gets me more excited than when I see him and he sees me and his eyes light up in recognition . . . we've only met a few times, and he has no idea what my name is, but when he took the stage tonight to open up for Brand New at Nassau Coliseum, I felt such a surge of pride for him. The first time I saw him was at the Mercury Lounge with Shannon, in June 2003, when we were the only two people in the venue who weren't his friends or family. Tonight he sang to hundreds, maybe even thousands of people, and I was so proud of him. I congratulated him when I saw him after the show and he just looked so overwhelmed and grateful, I just adore him. He's just amazing.





me with Kevin Devine

No comments:

Post a Comment