Monday, December 14, 2009

The Get Up Kids at Irving Plaza - 10.31.09

THE GET UP KIDS - IRVING PLAZA
October 31, 2009 - New York, NY
With: Kevin Devine and The Life and Times





The show kicked off pretty much at 9 on the dot, a rarity for Irving Plaza to actually be punctual - the opening band was called "The Life and Times" and they were rocking ZZ Top costumes and calling themselves "ZZ Times" - I wasn't overly impressed by them, but as far as opening bands go, they weren't awful.

Kevin Devine was next - his band dressed up as mummies and he had changed from when I'd seen him earlier into a dress with a short blond wig, sparkly flat shoes, and several long necklaces. "I got confused, I thought they said we were going as MOMMIES," he said. 45 minutes went by way too quickly, but he NEVER disappoints me, and every time I see him, I know it's going to be amazing.


Kevin Devine Setlist 


  1. No Time Flat
  2. Longer That I'm Out Here
  3. Yr Husband
  4. Hand of God
  5. Cotton Crush
  6. Carnival
  7. Another Bag of Bones
  8. Brother's Blood


Irving Plaza always plays weird, trippy movies with no sound in between their sets . . . this time it was "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" and "The Wizard of Oz", which I thought was just random happenstance until the lights dimmed, the screen lifted, and "We're Off To See The Wizard" started playing throughout the venue . . . the Get Up Kids took the stage dressed up as the characters from the Wizard of Oz (the poor guy who played "Dorothy" looked so innocent that it was actually more adorable than it was disturbing).


The Get Up Kids Setlist

First Set - Something To Write Home About

  1. Holiday
  2. Action And Action
  3. Valentine
  4. Red Letter Day
  5. Out of Reach
  6. Ten Minutes
  7. The Company Dime
  8. My Apology
  9. I'm A Loner Dottie, A Rebel
  10. Long Goodnight
  11. Close to Home
  12. I'll Catch You
Second Set
  1. Man of Conviction
  2. Coming Clean
  3. The One You Want
  4. Off the Wagon
  5. No Love
  6. Campfire Kansas
  7. Mass Pike
  8. Don't Hate Me
  9. Keith's Case
  10. On A Wire


No comments:

Post a Comment